about sddsplot.exe error on Windows XP

Moderators: cyao, soliday

pjchou

about sddsplot.exe error on Windows XP

Post by pjchou » 24 Jul 2008, 22:06

Dear Michael,
I installed the latest version of elegant and SDDS ToolKit to a WinXP computer which I took over from other colleague. After the installation was complete, I copied all old data files to the new PC and did a test run. I just did a simple run to get the Twiss functions of a storage ring. The elegant command worked as it used to be on my old PC. But I got an error message when I ran the script to generate plots of Twiss function. The screenshots of error message are shown in the following pictures. I can execute the sddsplot command in the terminal mode but not with the sample script I obtained from elegant example files. If I modified the script file as following, then I got the plot of Twiss function as I used to on my old PC. The 'tcl-brlapi: tcl bindings' package was installed in CYGWIN. The tclsh.exe is in c:\cygwin\bin.
Is it critical to include those lines and keywords which I commented out in the script?

Ping
-----------[script file to generate plots of Twiss function]----------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# \
#exec tclsh "$0" "$@"

#if ![file exists 79h2Twiss.log] {
# catch {exec elegant 79h2Twiss.ele > 79h2Twiss.log}
#}
#exec sddsplot -graph=line,vary -unsup=y \
sddsplot -graph=line,vary -unsup=y \
-column=s,etax -yscale=id=2 79h2Twiss.twi -legend \
-column=s,beta? -yscale=id=1 79h2Twiss.twi -legend \
-column=s,Profile -overlay=xmode=norm,yfact=0.04 \
-graph=line,type=0 79h2Twiss.mag &
Attachments
sddsplot-error2.png
detail of error message
sddsplot-error1.png
error message when the script was used to plot Twiss function

soliday

Re: about sddsplot.exe error on Windows XP

Post by soliday » 25 Jul 2008, 11:31

I just installed the Tcl from Cygwin and I can see the problem now. The problem is related to the way sddsplot calls mpl_motif which actually displays the plot. The program crashes on the popen call for some reason. I am looking into the problem but Google has 14 thousand hits for "cygwin popen crash." What I would recommend for now is to install Tcl from http://www.activestate.com/Products/act ... ndex.mhtml

I use the free ActiveTcl 8.4.19. Just put this in your path before Cygwin's version of tclsh. I do not see the problem when I use this version of Tcl.

pjchou

Post by pjchou » 27 Jul 2008, 02:18

Dear Bob,

Thank you for the prompt response. Michael mentioned you when he was here to review our project. I did use Cygwin and elegant successfully on Windows XP since I downloaded these programs from APS/OAG web about 6 months ago. This is the first time I encountered this kind of error message after I migrate to another WindowsXP machine with new version of elegant and Cygwin. I did try to use the older version of SDDS Toolkit which I downloaded 6 months ago but still got the same error message.

Ping

simone.dimitri

Post by simone.dimitri » 14 Oct 2009, 08:54

Hi everybody,
I have just installed the most recent version of Cygwin on my Windows Xp notebook.
I have found that sddsplot does NOT work from script with the recent version of tclsh 20080420-1, while it WORKS from script with the old tclsh 20060202-1.
Simone