TAPAs: Toolkit for Accelerator Physics on Androids

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

michael_borland

TAPAs: Toolkit for Accelerator Physics on Androids

Post by michael_borland » 17 Sep 2012, 13:36

I have a new application on play.google.com called "TAPAs", which stands for Toolkit for Accelerator Physics on Androids. It integrates the features of my previous apps (now retired), but also adds many more.

Calculations include: storage ring scaling with energy and circumference, longitudinal dynamics in rings, free-electron lasers, short-pulse x-rays, undulator effects on orbit and optics, top-up calculations, electromagnetism, synchrotron radiation, and some engineering calculations.

The app is free to download, free of ads, and free of elevated permissions. Search for "Michael Borland" on play.google.com to find it. Suggestions are always welcome.

--Michael

hywel

Re: TAPAs: Toolkit for Accelerator Physics on Androids

Post by hywel » 07 Jan 2013, 09:43

I've just tried TAPAs, it's a great little tool. A couple of comments:

- The RPN calculator is nice but a bit overkill, which makes the buttons a bit small even on my 4.3" screen phone.

- Are actions set on all the input boxes to refresh the entire calculation on a particular page? I got some non-updated calculations when changing input values occasionally, but not sure which ones.

- Is it possible to cache the form values so that they are available the next time you launch the application? I have to re-type all my 'favourite' ring settings at the moment.

michael_borland

Post by michael_borland » 07 Jan 2013, 11:25

Hywel,

Thanks for the feedback.

* I wondered if the calculator might be a bit off-putting. I'll try to add an option for a simply entry keypad.

* In general, if a value is changed the calculations should be refreshed immediately. If there's a specific tab that has confusing behavior, let me know. It tends not to be confusing to me, since I wrote it, so feedback is helpful.

* Yes, I can cache the form values. I'll try to get that in a future version.

--Michael

hywel

Post by hywel » 07 Jan 2013, 11:58

Super. It's a great tool - we've been playing with it this afternoon in the office. Thanks for developing it!