Linear chirp in X-P phase space

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

Jafarinia

Linear chirp in X-P phase space

Post by Jafarinia » 04 Sep 2018, 04:44

Hi all,

I am trying to get a linear chirp in X-P phase space. Which parameters should I optimize to get that?

Thanks,
Farzad

michael_borland

Re: Linear chirp in X-P phase space

Post by michael_borland » 04 Sep 2018, 11:55

Farzad,

I'm not sure if you are referring to an initial beam distribution or the distribution at the end of a beamline. Assuming that by 'P' you mean the total momentum of the particles, you want to maximize the dispersion function. If you give more detail about what you are trying to do, I might be able to give more helpful advice.

--Michael

Jafarinia

Post by Jafarinia » 05 Sep 2018, 14:12

Hi Michael,

I want to give dispersion to the beam by a dipole and also optimize the twiss parameters at the end of the beam line. Due to initial energy spread and quadrupoles in the beam line the chirp in X-P phase space is not linear (curved shape like banana) and so I need to use sextupole to minimize non-linearity. I was wondering which parameter should I minimize/maximize to get linear chirp in X-P phase space?
I realized that by minimizing the Sxp the chirp (X-P) would be linear but not in all cases.

Thanks,
Farzad

michael_borland

Post by michael_borland » 05 Sep 2018, 16:47

Farzad,

Attached is an example of one way to do this. In summary, the method is
  1. Insert a SCRIPT element at the end of the beamline, with the script command designed to remove the linear correlations (x,p) and (xp, p)
  2. Minimize the horizontal emittance of the resulting beam by adjusting sextupoles.
I hope something along these lines will work for your problem. Another approach is to minimize the higher-order terms in the transport matrix. However, that is less direct and requires knowing which terms actually matter.

--Michael
Attachments
linearize1.zip
(6.75 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

michael_borland

Post by michael_borland » 05 Sep 2018, 16:54

Farzad,

Actually, I realized that there is a better way to do this. The REMCOR element already provides the function that I implemented using a SCRIPT. See attached.

--Michael

Jafarinia

Post by Jafarinia » 06 Sep 2018, 08:07

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot....brilliant way.
I used REMCOR at the end of the beam line and then tried to minimize horizontal emittance of the resulting beam by sextupole.

Thanks,
Farzad