Wakefield

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

simona.bettoni

Wakefield

Post by simona.bettoni » 10 Mar 2014, 04:18

Good morning,
I would like to simulate one bunch which excites a wakefield of a structure and a second bunch which sees the effect of this interaction and takes energy. Is this done in Elegant just putting the wakefield and the two sub-bunches in a unique file or have I to do something else? I wrote a Matlab script to do this kind of calcualtions and I obtain different results.
Thanks for your answer.

michael_borland

Re: Wakefield

Post by michael_borland » 10 Mar 2014, 08:06

Simona,

To do this in elegant, the two bunches have to be tracked as one. You'll need to load the bunches from an SDDS file using &sdds_beam. If the bunches are in the same page of the file, then you don't need to do anything special, but if they are on successive pages, you'll need to ensure that the prebunched=0 qualifier is set on &sdds_beam.

The next thing is to ensure that the wake function is long enough in time to cover both bunches. Other than that, it should work fine.

The next version of elegant will have some improvements that will allow short and long range components of wakes to be treated separately, for greater efficiency.

--Michael

simona.bettoni

Re: Wakefield

Post by simona.bettoni » 10 Mar 2014, 08:48

Hi,
many thanks for your answer. I was doing a mistake and I realized it after writing you the question. Now I am confident of what I am doing thanks to your answer also.
Have a nice day,
Simona.