Pelegant I/O issue for CSRDRIFT element

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

GPenn

Pelegant I/O issue for CSRDRIFT element

Post by GPenn » 22 Nov 2023, 15:10

I have been trying out the CSRCSBEND and CSRDRIFT elements. They usually work great, but there is one corner case where Pelegant running on multiple nodes (not just multiple processes) has a problem writing the output file for a CSRDRIFT element specified through STUPAKOV_OUTPUT.

It seems that the first node gets to write its data, but the others cannot handle the locked file. The problem does not occur with CSRCSBEND elements. I compiled the code from source, so there might be some issue there, but it is surprising that the two CSR elements would have different behavior. I have not seen this issue come up for any other element.

The error message I get is:

Error:
unable to open file CSR.L2.csr for writing--file is locked (SDDS_InitializeOutput)
Problem setting up output file for CSRDRIFT (Stupakov mode)

A basic pair of files is attached. This is for version 2023.3.0, on a linux machine.

Cheers,
Gregg
Attachments
CSR.lte
(329 Bytes) Downloaded 25 times
CSR.ele
(413 Bytes) Downloaded 27 times

michael_borland

Re: Pelegant I/O issue for CSRDRIFT element

Post by michael_borland » 19 Dec 2023, 18:29

Gregg,

Unfortunately, that feature is not supported for the parallel version, although you have no way to know that from the manual. Those messages indicate that each processor is trying to open the same file, and failing.

I'll put it on my to-do list to provide parallel support, although I wouldn't recommend it for production runs as it will slow things.

--Michael

GPenn

Re: Pelegant I/O issue for CSRDRIFT element

Post by GPenn » 08 Jan 2024, 15:20

Thank you for looking into this, Michael. For now I am doing minimal serial runs when I want to look at the drift CSR.