gpu-elegant doesn't work for dynamic aperture tracking

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

Gyeongsu

gpu-elegant doesn't work for dynamic aperture tracking

Post by Gyeongsu » 14 Jan 2021, 03:12

Hello,

I tried to use gpu-elegant. As far as I know, there is no special command or additional coding to use gpu-elegant. Just replacing the "elegant" to "gpu-elegant" is okay. To check it, I tested the gpu-elegant with the elegant examples(which is on the aps elegant web site). First PAR/twissCalculation was tested. I just replaced the command on the "parTwiss" script from

if ![file exists parTwiss.log] {
catch {exec elegant parTwiss.ele > parTwiss.log}
}

to

catch {exec gpu-elegant parTwiss.ele > parTwiss.log}
}.
For the both cases, the same results were obtained.

After that, I tested PAR/dynamicAperture. Again I just replaced the command on the "track" script from

catch {exec elegant parTrack.ele -macro=deltaFile=deltaValues.sdds > parTrack.log}
}

to

catch {exec elegant parTrack.ele -macro=deltaFile=deltaValues.sdds > parTrack.log}
}.

In this case, elegant gave reasonable results. However, gpu-elegant gave an error message. It was

Fiducial particle lost. Don't know what to do.

Lastly, I checked PAR/tracking in the same way. Elegant gave reasonable results. gpu-elegant gave the different results that all particles were lost during the tracking.

Why the gpu-elegant doesn't work for the tracking and dynamicAperture? If there are anything I misunderstand or miss. Please let me know the right way of using gpu-elegant.

Best regards,

Gyeongsu

michael_borland

Re: gpu-elegant doesn't work for dynamic aperture tracking

Post by michael_borland » 22 Feb 2021, 22:33

Gyeongsu,

We are looking into the problem.

--Michael