"mpl_motif.exe has stopped working" message

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

tennant

"mpl_motif.exe has stopped working" message

Post by tennant » 17 Apr 2009, 09:54

I was using sddsplot when the attached message popped up. It forced me to close the program without being able to save the plot(s). Just wondering if any can provide some assistance. I use sddsplot almost daily and this is the first I've seen this happen. (I am running Vista). Thanks!
Attachments
msg.png
msg.png (20.72 KiB) Viewed 2142 times

soliday

Re: "mpl_motif.exe has stopped working" message

Post by soliday » 20 Apr 2009, 09:56

Are you saying the plot crashes right away and you never see it? Or are you saying that it crashes when you go to save it?

First I would rerun the SDDSTookKit installer and select "Remove". Once that is finished run the installer again to reinstall it. If this doesn't solve it, can you go to C:\Program Files\APS\SDDS TookKit\ and click on mpl_motif.exe and see if you see a blank sddsplot screen.

Option 1: You see a blank plot screen when clicking on mpl_motif.exe

sddsplot pipes drawing commands to mpl_motif which then displays them on the screen. If sddsplot is sending some errant drawing commands I suppose it is possible that mpl_motif is crashing because of it. Can you send me the input file and the sddsplot command line options you are using so I can test it?

Option 2: You don't see a blank plot screen and instead mpl_motif.exe crashes when clicking on mpl_motif.exe

I really don't know what could be the cause in this case. But I would suggest using the "-device=png -output=image.png" sddsplot options to have sddsplot write a PNG image file directly without needing mpl_motif at all.

tennant

Re: "mpl_motif.exe has stopped working" message

Post by tennant » 20 Apr 2009, 11:34

I uninstalled SDDS Toolkit and then re-installed it and the problem seems to have disappeared. Strange. (I tried re-installing it when I first had the problem without success - but in that instance I didn't remove the current installation first).

Thanks for your help.