Formatting with sddsplot

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

tennant

Formatting with sddsplot

Post by tennant » 17 Apr 2015, 07:48

Hi,

So with "conference season" approaching, I find myself generating lots of figures lately. Just a quick question. When I use sddsplot, often the vertical axis labels are much smaller than the horizontal. Is there a way to make them bigger (see for example, the attached image)? Usually I end up having to manually add a text box in PPT and create my own labels to overlay.

Thanks,
chris
Attachments
Fig6.png

michael_borland

Re: Formatting with sddsplot

Post by michael_borland » 17 Apr 2015, 08:18

Chris,

The root of the problem here is that sddsplot tries to make all the characters as large as possible, for readability. This ends up making some characters larger/smaller than others. There's no automatic solution at this time.

However, you can use the following options to fine-tune things:
* Use the -pspace otion to make more space where you need it. The default "plot space" is 0.15,0.85,0.225,.925. To make bigger y labels, add space at the left side, E.g., try -pspace=0.2,0.9,0,0
* The -xlabel, -ylabel, -topline, and -title options have a "scale" qualifier to scale the font size. Default is 1.
* The -ticks option has several useful qualifiers: xScaleChar and yScaleChar can be used to increase or decrease the size of the characters; default value is 1. xSize and ySize can be used to set the of the ticks; default value is 0.02 (fraction of the plot size).

Another thing that helps for publication and presentation is making the lines thicker. The attached script is one that we use: it makes both png (for presentations) and eps files (for latex docs), as well as an on-screen plot.

Hope this helps.

--Michael
Attachments
sddsplot3.tar
(10 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

tennant

Re: Formatting with sddsplot

Post by tennant » 17 Apr 2015, 08:22

Awesome! Yeah, the line thickness is also a problem when you make figures small enough to fit in a column for a standard conference paper. Thank you.