Using SOLE in beamline

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

Esperanza

Using SOLE in beamline

Post by Esperanza » 21 Sep 2011, 13:10

Hello,
I attempted to simulate the focusing/defocusing effects of the fringe fields of a solenoid 1mm "behind" a low energy electron beam. I defined a 10um solenoid with fields ranging from -50 to 50 Tesla. We wanted the solenoid to be 1mm behind the beam injection point, so I defined dz=-1mm and ran a bunched_beam through a beamline that looks like: Watch, Sole, Watch, Drift, Watch. I have not seen any effects attributed to the solenoid. Any input for why this has failed?
Thanks for the help,
-Esperanza

michael_borland

Re: Using SOLE in beamline

Post by michael_borland » 27 Sep 2011, 20:08

Esperanza,

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are trying to do, but I gather than you want to emit an electron beam inside a solenoid and see the effect of the fringe fields from the portion of the solenoid upstream of the cathode. The SOLE element is unsuitable for this as it is just a lumped element model for the entire solenoid.

Try the MAPSOLENOID element instead.

--Michael

Esperanza

Re: Using SOLE in beamline

Post by Esperanza » 29 Sep 2011, 11:44

Hi Micheal,
That is essentially what I want to do, except I don't want the beam to pass through the solenoid. I'd like to model a situation where the beam is born 10mm away from the solenoid fields and is de/focused over a distance of 1cm from that point. I'll try MAPSOLENOID.
Thanks for the help.
Esperanza