CSR instability

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

pjchou

CSR instability

Post by pjchou » 14 Jul 2008, 09:17

This is for Taiwan Photon Source 3 Gev ring. One superperiod is used for CSR tracking. It should be tracked for several turns, not just one superperiod.

michael_borland

Re: CSR instability

Post by michael_borland » 15 Jul 2008, 14:40

Ping,

Thanks for posting your files. One recommendation I have is to use the high_frequency_cutoff feature instead of the Savitzky-Golay smoothing. This gives better control over the noise cutoff frequency.

Here's an example of how to set the cutoff frequency:

Your bunch is gaussian with rms duration St and total duration 6*St. The characteristic frequency for a gaussian beam is fg=1/(2*pi*St) and the Nyquist frequency is fN=Nbins/(12*Sz). So the ratio of the characteristic frequency to the Nyquist frequency is approximately 2/Nbins. With Nbins=600 (as in your input files), this is 0.0033, so the dominant frequencies in the beam are well below the maximum frequency. (Which is good.)

Setting a cutoff of fc=fN/5 (high_frequency_cutoff0=0.2) is a good choice because it means that the highest frequency simulated is sampled with 10 time points. In this example, it also gives fg/fc=0.017, which means you will simulate frequencies that are up to 60 times fg. If you want to simulate higher frequencies, then you would increase Nbins (and the number of particles) but keep the cutoff fixed.

I've attached a PDF file that explains this a little more. I also modified your files. (I added the frequency cutoff. I also removed the rf cavity and radiation kick---these aren't needed when the beam only goes by once.)

--Michael
Attachments
tnote2005-027.pdf
Technical note describing setting of the binning and filtering parameters for CSR sims.
(42.46 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
79h2CSR4.txt
Script file: I added making of a 2d histogram and contour plot.
(848 Bytes) Downloaded 226 times
79h2CSR4.ele
(954 Bytes) Downloaded 218 times
79h2CSR4.lte
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

michael_borland

Post by michael_borland » 17 Jul 2008, 11:20

I used Pelegant on one of our computer clusters at APS to perform a simulation for ~100 turns (actually only 93 as I inadvertently stopped the job). This took several days on 32 processors (I didn't keep track of exactly how long it ran.) The results are pretty interesting, as the attached animated GIF shows. This is an unshielded case, which is why it looks so dramatic.

We have a program here at APS that calculates the shielded CSR impedance. (We'll be distributing this with the next release of elegant.) An initial check using this (via the ZLONGIT element) shows no issues.

--Michael
Attachments
79h2CSR5.lte
Lattice file
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
79h2CSR5.ele
Command file
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
movie.gif
Click on the image to play the movie. Press the browser refresh button to run it again.

simone.dimitri

Post by simone.dimitri » 30 Apr 2014, 06:41

Dear Michael,
I found your prescriptions on how to use HIGH_frequency_cutoff in CSRCSBEND in this old post.
I wonder if you have any similar guidance for the LOW_frequency_cutoff, in the same element. I could not find any discussion about this option in the forum.
Thank you in advance. Best,
Simone

michael_borland

Post by michael_borland » 30 Apr 2014, 08:26

Simone,

I don't particularly recommend using the low frequency cutoff feature. Although it might in some sense imitate the effects of CSR shielding, I don't think it does so in a physical way. There is also a customized filter available with the WAKE_FILTER_FILE parameter, but my tests have indicated that this is also not a physical approach.

--Michael