SDDS ToolKit Issues

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

tennant

SDDS ToolKit Issues

Post by tennant » 26 Jun 2009, 12:11

This morning I had the same issues that I described in a post on April 17, 2009. I repeated what worked the last instance, namely removing and then re-installing SDDSToolKit. I downloaded the newest installer and after installation (there were no indications of any problems), when I try to use sddsplot, I get the following message "bash: /cygdrive/c/Program Files/APS/SDDS ToolKit/sddsplot: Permission Denied". I happened to have an earlier SDDSToolKit installer on my machine and so reverted to an earlier version and I don't get the "permission denied" message, however, I still have the "mpl_motif.exe" error message. Help please! Thanks.

tennant

Re: SDDS ToolKit Issues

Post by tennant » 26 Jun 2009, 12:23

FYI: Perhaps I should mention that when I use the newest SDDS_Toolkit installer (giving the "permission denied" error), the files in C:\Program Files\APS\SDDS ToolKit indicate that they were last modified June 2, 2009 whereas the older installer that I reverted to gives October 10, 2006 as the date when files were last modified.

tennant

Post by tennant » 26 Jun 2009, 12:26

Sorry for the number of posts....

I double-clicked mpl_motif (after using the newest SDDS_Toolkit installer) and I get the attached error message.
Attachments
error.png

soliday

Post by soliday » 26 Jun 2009, 12:52

Are you using Windows Vista and have Microsoft Visual C++ installed? According to Google this could be causing a conflict. To solve it try downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

tennant

Post by tennant » 26 Jun 2009, 13:12

I've installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package and I no longer have the "permission denied" error messages after using the latest SDDS_ToolKit installer. However, I still have the mpl_motif.exe error/issue, so I am right back where I started... if need be I can use "-device=png -output=test.png" as you suggested the last time this issue came up, but I'd really like to get this fixed.

soliday

Post by soliday » 28 Jun 2009, 13:44

Okay, I figured it out after setting up fresh install of Vista and seeing the problem. You do need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 package but not the SP1 version like I thought. Here is the link to the version that you need installed:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Tomorrow I will update the software download page to comment on this requirement.

tennant

Post by tennant » 29 Jun 2009, 08:30

So what are the steps I need to take? I removed SDDSToolKit, installed the new link you provided for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 package and re-installed SDDSToolKit and still have the problem. Do I need to do something about the SP1 version of the C++ package that you had initially suggested installing? Thanks.

soliday

Post by soliday » 29 Jun 2009, 13:11

All I did was install the SDDSToolKit and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package.

I few questions for you. Are you running 32bit or 64bit Vista?

Can you run Dependency Walker on the mpl_motif.exe? You can download it from dependencywalker.com. Then just save the results and email me the saved file so I can examine it.

Also have you looked at the application event log to see what it says about the problem? You can find the event log under Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer->Application. This is how I identified which version of msvcr90.dll it was looking for and determined that it came from the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package.

As far as I can tell you can have the SP1 version installed simultaneously. My laptop has both without issues. But I am noticing that my laptop is using the version of msvcr90.dll from SP1 for mpl_motif.exe. My version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition is SP1 so now I am surprised that my test system worked without the SP1 Redistributable Package. But hopefully with the Dependency Walker information and the Event Viewer data we can identify what is happening on your system.

soliday

Post by soliday » 29 Jun 2009, 14:15

Just to close out this topic I will summarize some email from Tennant. The software is working now. Dependency Walker showed that it was using msvcr90.dll from Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package. The reason that it didn't work earlier is still unclear so I will recommend that users reboot after installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package.