Cwiggler element in the Elegant

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

YujieLu

Cwiggler element in the Elegant

Post by YujieLu » 02 Oct 2024, 08:25

Hello Michael,
I am currently using elegant to perform simulation with both the Cwiggler model and the bending magnet model. Here we use the ideal sinusoidal wiggler (sinusoidal=1). The bending magnet model is implemented by dividing an ideal 8-period sine distributed magnetic field into 1600 thin bending sections, which is directly based on the By field along the axis. The main files are attached. However, I've noticed the difference in their Twiss parameters especially the dispersion function, as shown in the attached plot. Could you explain why there is such a large discrepancy between the two models?
cwiggler_twiss.png
bend_model_twiss.png
Secondly, I am tracking one particle using the Cwiggler model, starting with a six-dimensional coordinate of (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0) at the entrance. To my surprise, the six-dimensional coordinates remain at zero after tracking. Why does the Cwiggler model can maintain trajectory transparency?

Thirdly, I am curious about how the elegant uses Cwiggler model to calculate the equilibrium emittance in the storage ring. It seems that changing the period length of the Cwiggler will affect the equilibrium emittance of the storage ring. However, the dispersion functions are always equal to zero in the Cwiggler model section. Could you explain the underlying mechanisms or factors at play?

Any insights or explanations would be greatly appreciated!

Best regard!
Yujie
Attachments
wiggler.zip
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 11 times