Nonlinear kicker expression in ELEGANT

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

Zhenbiao

Nonlinear kicker expression in ELEGANT

Post by Zhenbiao » 17 Apr 2019, 22:21

Hi,
I’m using ELEGANT to simulate the injection beam, but when I wrote the code of the kicker, I don’t know how to express the nonlinear kicker. The magnetic field of the nonlinear kicker is a bit like the octupole magnet, however, I’m not sure if I can replace the magnetic field of a nonlinear kicker with a octupole magnet.
So, is there any other way to express nonlinear kicker in ELEGANT rather using octupole magnet?

michael_borland

Re: Nonlinear kicker expression in ELEGANT

Post by michael_borland » 22 Apr 2019, 08:25

You can use the BUMPER element to simulate a nonlinear kicker with arbitrary time and spatial dependence. The WAVEFORM parameter is used to specify the time variation, while the DEFLECTION_MAP parameter is used to specify the (x, y) dependence of the kick.

--Michael

Zhenbiao

Post by Zhenbiao » 27 Apr 2019, 21:38

Hi Michael,

I have seen the DEFLECTION_MAP parameter from the <elegant> file, but I'm still confused about how to describe a particle with coordinates (x,y,t,δ), so, do you have a example file about the DEFLECTION_MAP?Could you please send it over?
Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
Wenbin

michael_borland

Post by michael_borland » 02 May 2019, 13:10

Wenbin,

Please see the attached files.

--Michael
Attachments
kickerMapExample.zip
(34.2 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

Zhenbiao

Post by Zhenbiao » 01 May 2020, 07:48

Hi Micheal,

What do x, y, xpFactor and ypFactor in map1.sdds represent respectively? What I have is the strength of the magnetic field B that changes with the abscissa x. Can I write a DEFLECTION_MAP file with x and B?

Zhenbiao