Physical aperture

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

simone.dimitri

Physical aperture

Post by simone.dimitri » 03 Feb 2014, 05:29

Dear Michael and all,
I am now computing dynamic aperture and transverse acceptance of Elettra SR (Diamond team acknowledged).
I am using at the same time elements like ECOL, UKICKMAP (in the .lte file) and &aperture_data (in the .ele file).

First question:
does the transverse grid (x,y), on which UKICKMAP is defined, behave like a collimator for particles that enter that element with coordinates "out of the grid"? (in other words, can UKICKMAP also be used like a physical retriction, e.g. I could build with RADIA the undulator kick only across the ID low gap vacuum chamber).

Second question:
does the &aperture_data file replace all other physical restrictions (i.e., ECOL, UKICKMAP) or does Elegant recognizes the smallest restriction when &aperture_data overlaps with ECOL, UKICKMAP, and set it automatically?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Simone

michael_borland

Re: Physical aperture

Post by michael_borland » 03 Feb 2014, 10:59

Simone,

Yes, the UKICKMAP works like a collimator for any particles that are outside the defined grid. Not sure what else we could do about those particles....

Any data supplied with &aperture_data should supplement other apertures, so you should get the smaller of the apertures.

--Michael