LSC in Chicane

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

Fetterman

LSC in Chicane

Post by Fetterman » 19 Jul 2017, 17:29

Hello

So I have a question about how best to set up a bunch compression to accurately model LSC and CSR effects. My input beam into the chicane is ~250MeV and I have been using CSRCSBEND and CSRDRIFT elements. However neither of these elements have LSC switches.

I have been using the LSCDRIFT - leffective element after each element to simulate LSC effects and I'm wondering if you have another method/easier way of accounting for LSC effects in a chicane.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Aaron Fetterman

michael_borland

Re: LSC in Chicane

Post by michael_borland » 20 Jul 2017, 10:23

Aaron,

Unfortunately, using LSCDRIFTs with L=0 and LEFFECTIVE nonzero is the best you can do in elegant at present. You can split the CSRDRIFT elements into shorter segments and insert LSCDRIFTs between the segments to make this more accurate.

Thinking about this more, I realized it was easy to introduce the same feature for splitting of CSRBENDs. In the next release, which should be out in the next week, you'll have this ability. For example, you will be able do

Code: Select all

b1: csrcsbend,l=0.01,angle=0.02,bins=600,integration_order=4,n_kicks=8
q: charge,total=1e-9
lsck: lscdrift,l=0,leffective=0.1,bins=600,lsc=1
csrd: csrdrift,l=0.1,n_kicks=4,use_stupakov=1
bl1: line=(q,40*(b1,lsck),10*(csrd,lsck))
(You can split the CSRCSBENDs now, but the CSR will not accumulate if the LSCDRIFTs are inserted between the sections.)

Some day, I hope to just add LSC to CSRCSBEND and CSRDRIFT ...

--Michael

Fetterman

Post by Fetterman » 20 Jul 2017, 11:10

Thanks Michael. We look forward to using the new release.

Aaron

Fetterman

Post by Fetterman » 21 Jul 2017, 10:11

Hey Michael,

Just a clarification item from your code. Did you purposely have the LSC Kick item be 10cm long and the Bending magnet only be 1 cm or was it just a quick typo?

Thanks

michael_borland

Post by michael_borland » 21 Jul 2017, 11:29

Aaron,

That was a typo. The LEFFECTIVE value should match the length of the previous element (bend slice or drift).

--Michael