Multi-bunch Watch Files Limit in Windows 10?

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

england

Multi-bunch Watch Files Limit in Windows 10?

Post by england » 29 Sep 2020, 19:06

I am using the multi-bunch features in Elegant to study BBU for the LCLS2 linac at SLAC. In prior discussion with Michael he recommended to use WATCH elements (restricting the ParticleID range) to extract the beam parameters of individual bunches at different locations along the linac. I find when running this implementation in Windows 10 using the most recent version of Elegant (2020.3.0) that the simulation aborts with the error

"Unable to open file [name of watchfile] for writing (SDDS_InitializeOutput)".

I've tried it with various configurations of bunches and it appears to repeatedly occur after 1005 watch files have been generated. Note that this error does NOT occur when I run the same configuration in MacOSX on the Unix command line. Michael previously identified a bug in Elegant 2020.2.0 which left the files open when using the FRFMODE and FTRFMODE elements, causing the code to abort after the maximum number of open files on the system had been reached. However, that bug was corrected in version 2020.3.0. The above error appears similar so perhaps there is a similar file open bug regarding watch files?

Unlike in Unix I'm not sure how to change the quota on open files in Windows 10. Searching online forums on this topic has not turned up a good solution.

england

Re: Multi-bunch Watch Files Limit in Windows 10?

Post by england » 05 Oct 2020, 17:30

Resolved using USE_DISCONNECT=1 flag in WATCH elements. This appears to close the files so that the system quota is not exceeded.