custom interval for slice_analysis and SLICE element

Moderators: cyao, michael_borland

WEI-HOU

custom interval for slice_analysis and SLICE element

Post by WEI-HOU » 18 Jun 2020, 13:00

Hi,

I am using ELEGANT to do simulation studies of beam-breakup instability inside a waveguide, where the beam's bunch length will increase throughout the whole simulation.
I have the following questions,

1. Is it possible to define custom time interval and fixed bin size for slice_analysis and SLICE element ?
2. In my studies, different beam slices have different energies, is it possible to compute phase advances, Twiss parameters separately for each slice ?

Thanks.

michael_borland

Re: custom interval for slice_analysis and SLICE element

Post by michael_borland » 30 Jun 2020, 09:08

1. Is it possible to define custom time interval and fixed bin size for slice_analysis and SLICE element ?
Unfortunately not, and it would be quite complex to add this feature. I suggest setting N_SLICES to a large value and then post-processing to average over various numbers of slices as a way to approximate what you want. Just be aware that the SLICE element has very poor parallel efficiency due to the amount of data exchange required between processors.
2. In my studies, different beam slices have different energies, is it possible to compute phase advances, Twiss parameters separately for each slice ?
You can compute the twiss parameters from the data provided in the SLICE output files. E.g,

Code: Select all

sddsprocess run.slice "-define=col,betax,Sx Sxp /,units=m" "-define=col,betay,Sy Syp /,units=m" 
I don't know how one could compute the phase advances from slice statistics. That would seem to require following individual particles within a slice. You could try to do that externally using WATCH elements.

--Michael