compile SDDS as SHARED_LIBRARIES on Debian X64

Moderators: cyao, soliday

shengb

compile SDDS as SHARED_LIBRARIES on Debian X64

Post by shengb » 11 Feb 2009, 11:14

I am going to compile the SDDS source on my Debian lenny/sid x64.

If I compile it as STATIC library, it goes well. But there are some problem if I build it as a shared library.
It complains that:
$ make
make -C O.linux-x86_64 -f ../Makefile TOP=../../../../.. T_A=linux-x86_64 install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/epics/extensions/src/SDDS/SDDSaps/sddsplots/O.linux-x86_64'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../../../../../lib/linux-x86_64/libXaw.a', needed by `sddsplot'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/epics/extensions/src/SDDS/SDDSaps/sddsplots/O.linux-x86_64'
make: *** [install.linux-x86_64] Error 2

It only appears on my Debian x64, and everything is fine if I compile it on my Debian x32.

How can I solve it?

Thanks,

Guobao

soliday

Re: compile SDDS as SHARED_LIBRARIES on Debian X64

Post by soliday » 11 Feb 2009, 14:27

Well the first question is do you have /usr/lib64/libXaw.so or /usr/lib64/libXaw.a installed? Usually if it finds those it won't go looking in ../../../../../lib/linux-x86_64

You can change where it looks by editing epics/extensions/configure/os/CONFIG_SITE.linux-x86_64.linux-x86_64 and changing the X11_LIB variable.

shengb

Post by shengb » 11 Feb 2009, 14:58

Yes, I installed the all those libraries in the stand directory, and I can list them as below:
$ls /usr/lib/libXaw.* /usr/lib64/libXaw.*
/usr/lib64/libXaw.a /usr/lib64/libXaw.so /usr/lib64/libXaw.so.7 /usr/lib/libXaw.a /usr/lib/libXaw.so /usr/lib/libXaw.so.7

I also think it should not go looking into ../../../../../lib/linux-x86_64.
It might be worth noticing that when I compile it as static, there is no problem.

Thanks,

Guobao

shengb

Post by shengb » 11 Feb 2009, 15:15

I found what is the problem now.
The CONFIG_SITE.linux-x86_64.linux-x86_64 is missed under configure/os/.
But I still wonder why the static compile passed without it for a x64 machine.

Guobao
soliday wrote:Well the first question is do you have /usr/lib64/libXaw.so or /usr/lib64/libXaw.a installed? Usually if it finds those it won't go looking in ../../../../../lib/linux-x86_64

You can change where it looks by editing epics/extensions/configure/os/CONFIG_SITE.linux-x86_64.linux-x86_64 and changing the X11_LIB variable.

soliday

Post by soliday » 11 Feb 2009, 15:29

It looks like our epics.extensions.configure.tar.gz is pretty old and doesn't contain support for linux-x86_64. Did you get your build rules from another location or are you using the ones we supplied? I just updated epics.extensions.configure.tar.gz and oag.apps.configure.tar.gz on our web site to include support for linux-x86_64. Without it, the file I referenced earlier, epics/extensions/configure/os/CONFIG_SITE.linux-x86_64.linux-x86_64 would not exist on your system. That is unless you got the build rules from somewhere else.

As for the differences between building with STATIC_BUILD=YES and STATIC_BUILD=NO you can see the differences in the SDDS/SDDSaps/sddsplot/Makefile.OAG.
If with the new build rules you still have trouble, you can get it to work by editing SDDS/SDDSaps/sddsplot/Makefile.OAG and changing the line from:
PROD_LIBS_Linux += Xaw Xmu Xt Xext X11
to:
OP_SYS_LDLIBS = -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11

soliday

Post by soliday » 11 Feb 2009, 15:33

shengb wrote:I found what is the problem now.
The CONFIG_SITE.linux-x86_64.linux-x86_64 is missed under configure/os/.
But I still wonder why the static compile passed without it for a x64 machine.
The rules for the static build are special in this directory. Statically linking these libraries to sddsplot will cause sddsplot to not work. So to get around it I have modified the Makefile.OAG to force it to link to a few dynamic libraries. This override is not in place for the non-static build.

shengb

Post by shengb » 11 Feb 2009, 15:48

After I add the CONFIG_SITE.linux-x86_64.linux-x86_64 file, the whole compiling works smoothly.
Thanks for your explanation. Now the thing is clear to me why building with STATIC_BUILD=NO can work without that file.

Thanks again.

Guobao

soliday wrote:It looks like our epics.extensions.configure.tar.gz is pretty old and doesn't contain support for linux-x86_64. Did you get your build rules from another location or are you using the ones we supplied? I just updated epics.extensions.configure.tar.gz and oag.apps.configure.tar.gz on our web site to include support for linux-x86_64. Without it, the file I referenced earlier, epics/extensions/configure/os/CONFIG_SITE.linux-x86_64.linux-x86_64 would not exist on your system. That is unless you got the build rules from somewhere else.

As for the differences between building with STATIC_BUILD=YES and STATIC_BUILD=NO you can see the differences in the SDDS/SDDSaps/sddsplot/Makefile.OAG.
If with the new build rules you still have trouble, you can get it to work by editing SDDS/SDDSaps/sddsplot/Makefile.OAG and changing the line from:
PROD_LIBS_Linux += Xaw Xmu Xt Xext X11
to:
OP_SYS_LDLIBS = -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11