sddsplot problem with Cygwin installation

Moderators: cyao, soliday

lewellen

sddsplot problem with Cygwin installation

Post by lewellen » 18 Jan 2013, 17:00

Posted on behalf of a colleague, Evgenya Simakov. (She has applied for but does not yet have board membership here.)

She writes:
I installed the latest version of Elegant and SDDS toolkit on Windows 7 using self-installing Windows executables. I use Cygwin 1.7.17 to run it. When I type the command

sddsplot testData.sdds -col=a,b

I get the following error:

'C:\PROGRA~2\APS\SDDS' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

SDDS toolkit version is November 29, 2012
Elegant version is 25.1.0
She is preparing a new computer, so this is about as clean of an installation as one can get - there are no previous versions to uninstall, etc.

The file testData.sdds contains two columns, a and b, with a being the integers 0 .. 9 and b being a^2. It was generated using sddssequence and sddsprocess, so those are working properly; as best I can tell, the problem is specifically with sddsplot.

Thoughts / comments / suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks very much,

- John Lewellen

soliday

Re: sddsplot problem with Cygwin installation

Post by soliday » 21 Jan 2013, 16:32

What do you get when you type "which sddsplot"? I get:

$ which sddsplot
/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/APS/SDDS ToolKit/sddsplot

It seems to have a problem with the space in the directory name on your system.
When you installed the toolkit, it should have appended "c:\Program Files (x86)/APS/SDDS ToolKit" to your PATH environment variable. When you start cygwin, cygwin is suppose to convert this into a new PATH with the form: "/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/APS/SDDS ToolKit". I am not sure why that is not happening on your system.