The MDA Utilities are programs and a library written for use
with MDA files, as created by saveData in EPICS.
- Converts MDA files into an ASCII format, suitable for use with a
plotting program. It has many options, and handles data sets of any
- Does a dump of all the information held within an MDA file, exactly
as it is stored.
- Lists the MDA files in a directory with some scan parameters.
- Shows basic information as well as detectors, positioners, and
triggers from an MDA file.
- This script converts a directory tree of MDA files into a new
parallel directory tree populated by ASCII files, ignoring all non-MDA
- mda-load library
- This library is used to load MDA files, and can be used to write
For support of directly loading MDA files into MATLAB or Octave,
Version 1.4.1 release (August 2016)
The utilities has been built on Debian Linux, Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, Solaris 10, and Mac OS X, requiring no special external
libraries. It can also been built for Windows, although it's takes
manual configuration (I used MinGW on Red Hat Enterprise Linux), and
an optional XDR hack is included as Windows lacks a native XDR library.
Changes from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1:
- mda2ascii: Changed way scan tree is traversed for
multidimensional files. Instead of trusting the header dimensions
array for scan sizes, use the sizes in the scans themselves.
Allows correct conversion for irregular files, or files that have
bad values in the dimensions array (technically the file is
- mda-info: Simply state that a scan is irregular, as
previous output was misleading.
Maintained by Dohn Arms.